Signify has dynamically lit the iconic Shanghai Bund, the mile-long stretch of waterfront promenade along the Huangpu River that is one of the most recognisable symbols of the city – it includes more than 40 historic buildings and is a living museum of the colonial history of the 1800s. along the waterfront.
The Shanghai Bund now features tunable white LED façade lighting on 23 out of over 40 buildings that comprise the project to emphasise the classical colour tones of this architectural masterpiece and to show the historic buildings in the best possible light.
The new project complements last November’s announcement of a lighting facelift for the Shanghai Municipality encompassing three bridges and 77 buildings in the financial and tourist districts.
Signify is committed to helping Chinese cities develop more eco-friendly business and tourist landmarks by using connected LED lighting to lower energy use and reduce operating costs. By comparison with areas of Shanghai previously lit with conventional lighting, the city is expected to save 50 to 70 percent of annual lighting costs by moving to connected LED lighting.
The lighting design for the historic Shanghai Bund facades involved a host of designers:
- Fisher Marantz & Stone in association with Uno Lai Lighting Design & Associates were the Project Concept Advisors and designers of The Customs House and Pudong Development Bank facades
- UNOLAI Lighting Design & Associates designed the Asia Building and The House of Roosevelt, Shanghai Clearing House facades
- Tungsten-Studio Lighting Design designed The Peace Hotel, The Swatch Art Peace Hotel, The Public Service Center of the Bund, Bangkok Bank, Bund 6, Bund 5, Bund 3, Waldorf Astoria Shanghai Hotel and The Meteorological Tower facades
- Shanghai Luoman Lighting Technologies Inc., designed The China Merchants Company Building, Shanghai Foreign Exchange Trade Centre, Agricultural Bank of China and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China facades
- Landscape Lighting Management Institute, Huangpu District Shanghai designed the AIA and Bank of China building facades
- Tongji Architectural Design designed the Shanghai Federation of Trade Unions Building and China Everbright Bank facades
- Shanghai Xian Dai Architectural Design designed the Bank of Taiwan and The Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China building facades.